Sunday, November 29, 2009

Milage Test, Warning Icon, and Dogs in Vehicle

On a road trip from Ashland, VA to Palm Harbor, FL, on November 28, 2009, 865 miles, of which all but about 40 miles were on interstate highways, I averaged 69.9 mph, and 25.2 mpg.

While in Virginia, I started getting a symbol flashing on the instrument panel. It was a triangle with a snow flake inside. I couldn't find anything in the Owners Manual, so I called BMW roadside assistance. I described it to the technician, who told me I needed anti-freeze, and if I felt comfortable enough to do it, I should buy some and put it in. Instead, I drove to the local BMW dealer in Short Pump, where it was quickly checked and I was told that it didn't need anti-freeze; it is a warning light that comes on for about a second at about 37∘ to warn of possible road icing.

I also discovered that when leaving dogs in the vehicle, one must press the lock button twice to disable an internal sensor; otherwise any movement inside the vehicle by the dogs triggers the alarm.

No comments:

Post a Comment